Hey how many of you were lucky to get the Republicans for Change Mailing? What’s that you didn’t get it yet?
I don’t think you are missing anything as it looks like the group running it is exactly the people who we need to change so we can have some progress in Bay Ridge.
There is a certain Republican Senator’s office in Bay Ridge which we reached out to with a simple problem in June 2012 and they would not assist us even after reminders. And the head of the office (which may be one of the organizers of this new group) did not reach out to me when he saw what I wrote on Twitter EVEN AFTER KNOWING I VOTED FOR GOLDEN.
They like to come to my blog all of the time instead of doing their job. Look:
Tuesday, May 13th:
Thursday, May 16th (yes today):
There isn’t much info around about the Republicans for change group online and anyone who is anyone has a Facebook/Twitter or website if they are legit. The invite names the Bay Ridge Manor as the location (surprise surprise) and the speakers.
A closed box – an envelope in his writing – a wad of cash – Found on one of the most important days of the year…………just a sign that he is looking over all of us.
* I was lucky to have known him and been loved by him. *
Hop over to the other blog to see the pictures & what we are going to do with the cash.
- Teens over 14 by July 1st can apply to work in the NYC SYEP Program. Basically, teens help out and run games at schools where there are summer programs. The application is open until May 22nd. Where most jobs won’t take 14 or 15 year olds in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx, SYEP does!) Looking for a summer job at the premier New York beach and pool club? Here are this season’s job openings at the Sea Gate Beach Club. If you would like to apply for a job, please call: (718) 372 – 4477 or send your resume to email@example.com (see here)
- 16 year olds can apply for: Jobs as Seagate Beach Club: Cabana Staff, Bathroom Matrons, Counter People and those who are Red Cross certified can apply to be Life Guards (Pool and Waterfront). Those who are 18 year olds can also apply to be Security (front gate and beach)
- Teens between the ages of 16 and 18 can apply for the Brooklyn Borough President’s Summer Heat Program – application here.
Part-time and full-time is available, but nighttime and weekend availability is a must. Duties include preparing and serving seafood rolls and other simple dishes, taking orders and cashier work, opening, closing, as well as manning fun outdoor markets and fairs. We’re also looking for summer interns now, too! Please e-mail Haleigh (hireME@lukeslobster.com) with your resume and a paragraph or two about who you are and why you’re right for the job. $10 an hour plus tips
- Carroll Gardens clam shack /seafood restaurant is seeking hard working, resourceful, upbeat and friendly; servers, bartenders, food runners, barbacks, bussers and hosts. Servers and bartenders must have strong food knowledge, especially in seafood – as well as strong restaurant serving and bartending experience; and a proven history of excellence in the restaurant/service business. Please email your resume in the body of your email, NO ATTACHMENTS! Be available to work at least 3 shifts a week, with Sat and Sunday brunches a must. If you cannot work brunches, do not respond. Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are a teen who is fluent in Spanish you can apply to T-mobile at 50th Street and 5th Avenue to sell cellphones (see posting)
- Grooming Assistant at Petco in Brooklyn 2601 – 86th Street (Apply here)
- Dog walkers are needed at many places in posh areas like Park Slope, Murray Hill and Downtown Brooklyn because people go away and leave their dogs at home. Do YELP search for dog walking services and call them up.
- Work at Chipolte Grill in 11209 (apply here)
- Dominoes at 554 5th Avenue is seeking help
You can also find more summer jobs for teens here.
I don’t know if anyone else suffers from this obsession, but I have had it all my life. I love mail.
I don’t love e-mail. E-mail is another demand on life. It is – you know it. The only time I like e-mail is when Lee writes me a short message, my students write to me or an old friend sends out an update. E-mail sucked the personality out of mail.
I love regular mail – not just letters, but catalogs too. I write and send real letters to people and as a result receive real letters in return. Yes, the type of letters that are written on beautiful stationary covered with hand-printed writing. I don’t care for junk mail and have removed my name from most mailing lists because it’s a waste of paper to send me junk mail (address stickers and animal stamps).
When I get home from work, I sort the mail by the garbage can and then I take it out back and read it on the deck. I love skimming the catalogs and looking for new items in my favorite ones.
My mail obsession has existed since I was very little. While in kindergarten, I got an eye infection from peeping out the front door mailbox while waiting for the mailman.
As a pre-teen, I ran to the mailbox of our summer home and everyone thought I was in love with the mailman (including the mailman), but I really was in love getting the mail. Back then, I had several pen pals and would send off letters every week or two. My brother tease me for years with a chant of ”Mail, mail, mail” every time I ran off to get the mail.
Years have passed and my obsession with mail remains. Lee has named my theme song as: “Someone got a Letter” from Blues Clues. But I don’t care – I love mail!
I love the weekend and since is is 12:30 AM on 5/6 the weekend is over. This weekend included:
- A Cinco de Mayo celebration that was especially roudy since my neighbor was away and the following neighbor deceased
- A coastal bathroom makeover that made Lee say, “I feel like on a beach in Long Island”
- the best family and friends EVAAAAAAAAAA
I woke up early this morning so I took a ride out to Nassau Country. I drove through Queens to get to 495. EVERY TIME I drive through Queens, there is an accident on the road and Queens drivers are the most inconsiderate people in the world.
When there is an accident on the road in Brooklyn, other drivers will wave you into their lane. This never happens in Queens. A fire truck was quickly approaching my car from behind. There were two other cars behind me that needed to move out of the lane as well. As I tried to make my way over to the right lane, the driver in the right lane kept beeping at me. I wish I had a bullhorn on my car because I wanted to yell out, ” Dude are you brain dead? There’s a fire truck trying to get through to save someone’s live and you beeping at me. The car to my right moves past me and as I make my way into the right lane because the fire truck is directly behind me, the driver in the right lane beeps at me!?! I beeped back and pulled ahead of her. People in Queens have no common sense. This is just another reason why Queens sucks.
There have been quite a few robberies in Bay Ridge and today they arrested Joseph Cantanzarro for them. Cantanzarro is 42 years old. He is charged with five counts of burglary.
See story here:
Teens over 14 by July 1st can apply to work in the NYC SYEP Program. Basically, teens help out and run games at schools where there are summer programs. The application is open until May 22nd. Where most jobs won’t take 14 or 15 year olds in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx, SYEP does!)
- Cashier at Home Depot in Staten Island (apply here)
- Toys R Us Sales Team in Staten Island (apply here)
- Family Dollar Store cashier (apply here)
Prizes & Promotions page on Blogher.com:
The Tsarnaev brothers are probably some of the most hated people in the world for the recent Boston bombing. Their mother continues to give interviews claiming her son’s innocence.
And my friends pray for the Tsarnaev family.
Yep. I know so REALLY good people.
I prayed for the families that were harmed by the bomb as I am sure everyone did. But the murderers and their families….yeah that’s something I have to work on…..praying for people who have purposely done harm. I’m sure they need prayer more than anyone and so do their families who are being blamed for their ac tions. So if you are reading this, be better than me and pray for the Tsarnaev family if you can.
Thank God for sending me amazing people!
Normally, I hate surprises. I don’t like the feeling of being caught off guard. I kn0w many people love surprises and hope that their loved ones would surprise them once in awhile.
Lee knows I hate surprises, but he loves planning them. Over the years, he has learned that it’s better to save the surprises for the kids as I don’t appreciate them as much as they do. I’ve tried to hide my hatred of surprises over the years, but he knows me and knows what a fake smile looks like.
This weekend, he replaced our flower boxes in the front and back of the house. I am really into plants and picked out what type I wanted this year. I placed a paper with their names and pictures in our house binder.
Lee went to Home Depot and the local nursery. He brought my paper from the binder so he could get the plants I wanted. Yeah that’s the type of surprise I like. He did good! Sorry for the terrible pic – it was late when I shot the photo.
*Oh if you are Lee and you are reading this….I love you, love the flowers and I love surprises like when you go to the bank and get me cash when you know I am low (best surprise ever) or you pick up juice,milk, etc. :)