Best of Bay Ridge
I’ve lived in Bay Ridge for four years. When a close friend of mine moved here, I made her list of the best places in Bay Ridge. I put it online since I realized I needed it most often when I wasn’t home. The list just keeps getting longer and longer as I love to shop locally.
Roofer – Our home came with a roof done by John Roggenkamp and we haven’t had any leaks in 6 years we have been here (it was done 9 years prior to our purchase). I know that Roggenkamp did the roof because when we purchased the home the bank required a roof report. We called Anthony, owner of Rocco’s Roofing who assessed the roof and then told us that it was a good roof and was done by Roggenkamp (yes he could tell by the way that it was done that it was Roggenkamp’s work). Rocco’s Roofing was referred to us by several friends who had to get a new roof installed or an old roof repaired. We found Anthony to be reliable and professional especially when we saw the former owners roofing bill from. John R. Roggenkamp 510 76th Street Brooklyn, NY 11209 718-680-1217 and Rocco’s Roofing 814 64th Street Brooklyn, NY 11220 Phone: 718-745-6718 Toll Free: 800-745-5134 Good luck!
Plumber – Henry Myers Plumbing and Heating (son Tim Myers his son runs the business) 440 13th St 718-836-1324 Look at his cute car:
Locksmith: Bridgeview Locksmith and Safe on 83rd street near 5th ave.
Redoing wood floors (sanded and polyurethane/varnish) – Bruno’s Flooring on 75th Street & 15th Avenue 718- 645-6934
Best Appliance Repair: Lens Appliances. They are located on 81st and 7th. He’s very honest and reliable.
Best HandyMan in Bay Ridge: Everyone always needs a handyman, right?
- Chris (carpenter) (917) 592-4698
- Rodney Sapini – handyman and a licensed and insured Home Contractor. 646-361-9980
Best Take Out/Delivery
Pizza – there are a lot of different types of pizza around here:
- Traditional Pizza: Ninos Pizzaria is good, but we like classic old school:Espresso Pizza (718) 833-8750 & Pizza Wagon (5th Ave & 87th)
- Veggie Special Pizza: Rocco’s 78th and 5th Avenue (great spinach roll too)
- Marguarita Pie: Peppino’s
- Gluten Free Pizza: Bay Ridge Pizza – 5th Avenue and 77th St. & Pizzeria Uno (92nd/4th Avenue)
Best Large (dinner size) Salads in Bay Ridge – Circles
Chinese Food– Dragon China – 79th and 3rd 718-238 -2202
Vietnemese – Phoa Hoai 86th & 4th Avenue (718) 745-1640
Hamburgers – Fort Hamilton Diner 95th & 4th 718-238-5151 – best burgers ever (the Hamilton Platter is good too) Fast delivery.
Cheap fish and chips – Zekes $7.49 (delivered hot) 718-836-1600 menu here
Cheap but good– $7.95 special at Cappuccino Cafe has a great special: soda, entree, and treat for 7.95 7721 3rd Ave (718) 238-8700
Latin – Castilla de Jaga 68th and 4th
Cuban – El Punte has an amazing Cubano and delivery is fast. 9300 Fifth Avenue 718-921-2580
Sushi – Suki Sushi is on Seamless, Omiya is decent – Dish is better, but more $
Italian – I love Compania (OMG so good) and Ginos. Vesuvios – good pasta/salads 718-745-0222
Polish – Polonica (718) 630-5805
Sandwiches -Best sandwich in Bay Ridge
- Paneantico – Corner of 91st & 3rd 718-680-2347
- Mejlander & Mulgannon(M&M) – great combo sandwiches & macaroni and cheese 7615 -5t Ave 718-238-6666
- Still love Lioni’s on 78th and 15th Avenue
- 6 Foot hero for parties: Foodtown, Bagel Boy on 3rd (bagel wheel too for smaller parties) and of course Lioni’s on 78th and 15th
- Date Night – Romantic/Good Service/Intimate: Petite Oven (French Cuisine) 276 Bay Ridge Avenue 718-833-3343
Pearl Room & Tuscany Grill are also great!
Great Food/Good Cocktails – Elias (Greek Cuisine) 8611 – 3rd Avenue 718-748- 9891
Good Food/Music (sometimes too loud at the new place) – Tanoreen (Middle Eastern) 7523 – 3rd Avenue 718- 748-5600 *Make reservation*
Good Food/Dressy – Chadwick’s
- Seafood – Mussels and More – this place has a great vibe (Hunter’s Steakhouse 94th and 3rd Avenue has great fish and chips)
- Italian – Compania, Ponte Vecchio, Ginos (tables close together), Casa Calamari & Zio Toto 84th & 3rd Avenue
- Greek – Something Greek (wow so good) – still love the more casual, Spartan Souvlaki 6824 8th Avenue (718) 748-5838 Plaka on 86th Street has good spinach pies.
- Middle Eastern – Tanoreen 7523 – 3rd Avenue 718- 748-5600 or Sally & George’s
- Chinese – Chopstix
- Sushi – Dish 92nd and 3rd Avenue Menu
- Spanish – CasaPepe 114 Bay Ridge Avenue
- Mexican – Las Margaritas 7215 3rd Avenue & Panchos
- Indian – I haven’t found a good place in Bay Ridge. We go to Kinara in Park Slope 473 5th Avenue – between 10th Street and 6th Avenue 718-499-3777 Sometimes we call in the order and pick it up too.
Best Bagels in Bay Ridge
- Bagel Boy 8002 3rd Avenue
- Still love Chicken Ridiculous from Dyker Park Bagels 713 86th Street
Best Bakery in Bay Ridge – Your Bakery – 86th Street – has black and white cookies – both the hard and soft icing. Plus good lemon cake and strawberry shortcake.
Best Bars in Bay Ridge – Salty Dog, Kettle Black & Pippins
Best Date Spots in Bay Ridge – Shore Road & Cappacino Cafe – that’s what Lee & I did.
Best Grocery in Bay Ridge: C-Town 75th Street and 5th Avenue – has a good selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. The store is also very clean because it’s new.
Best Fish Market in Bay Ridge – Cosentinos 6927 3rd Ave (718) 745-4710
Furniture Stores in Bay Ridge
- Gothic Cabinet Craft at 5th and Ovington
- Raymour and Flannigan is at 3035 Cropsy Avenue in Coney Island
- Ikea – Red Hook
Best Cleaners & Tailoring in Bay Ridge – 99th Street Cleaners 9840-4th Avenue (718) 836 – 3120
Best Shoe Repair in Bay Ridge – Sam’s on 95th off 4th Avenue (right past the train stairs going towards 3rd) – Best Cobbler in Bay Ridge!
Best Pet Store in Bay Ridge – Paws Truly 76th & 3rd Avenue
Best Jewelry Repair in Bay Ridge – Richie at R&S Jewelers -3rd between 94th & 95th Street
Best Nail Salon in Bay Ridge
- Nail & Mee on 9801 – 4th Avenue /Marine and 4th Avenue
- Pink & White 87th & 3rd ($25 for mani/pedi) – very clean place and the owner is very nice.
Best Hair Salon in Bay Ridge – Linda LSM Hair Salon on 3rd Avenue between 85th and 86th Street (Linda’s the owner and haircuts are reasonably priced).
Children’s hair cuts – Debbie from Mane Event (82nd Street off 3rd Avenue) Wednesday through Sunday 10AM – 5pm Text Debbie at 917-403-3756. 718-921-9826 (make appointment she is busy)
Best Facial – Green Spa (waxing too) – make appt on their site
Best Gym – Harbor Fitness
Best Fabric Store in Bay Ridge –(more info here)
- J & A Fabrics – 83rd Street between off 3rd about 3 or 4 stores from the corner while walking towards 4th Avenue http://www.jafabricstore.com/
- Beverly’s Trimming Shop – 79th and 5th Avenue – it’s small, but has a lot of good things
Best Craft Store in Brooklyn
- Beadbox is not in Bay Ridge, but it’s a quick drive to Smith Street for jewelry making supplies.
Best Attorney in Bay Ridge – NONE?
Notary in Bay Ridge – Bay Ridge Specialty Rx 3rd Avenue between 69th and Ovington Avenue. Any bank with a notary will allow you to use them as well (actually a notary can’t deny a person the service as long as the person has ID)
- Pediatric Doctor – Dr. David Fernandes. 126 95th Street between Shore & Ridge. 718-238-7842Treat & Release 8012 3rd Ave (718) 342-5362
- Orthopedic Surgeon – Dr. Gambino at Sclafani /Vitale office – 9711 – 3rd Avenue (718) 833-1808 OR Dr. Laith Jazrawi at NYU (he’s from Bay Ridge)
- Podiatrist – Dr. Mario Genovese – 7715 4th Ave Brooklyn, NY 11209 (718) 748-7474 (makes home visits for elderly patients)
- Pulmonologist – Dr Spiros Demetis 718-748-4446. Office 9001 Fort Hamilton Pkwy OR
- General Practitioner – Dr. Rick Chou 8701 Shore Road (718) 759-1900 Takes GHI and AETNA
- Dr. Paul Maravel – 5th Avenue between 77th & 77th Doctors Care 718-238-7111
- John Frisone 94th and 4th (718) 836 – 6556
- Dr, Taglianetti – 4th Avenue & 79th
Best Vet in Bay Ridge: Dr. Appel 9102 – 5th Avenue
Outside of BayRidge: St. Francis Animal Hospital
Kids Sports & Other Programs
- OLA Sports
- OLPH Soccer Team
- Lacrosse Teams at Poly Prep for children in pre-k to eighth grade (March to June)
- Softball and Baseball – South Brooklyn Cardinals – traveling team
- Ridge Kids is a free creative writing program – BR Library Thursdays 3:00-415 pm – boys and girls age 5 to 10.
- Martial Arts in Bay Ridge – You’s Tae Kwon Do 92nd and Fort Hamilton.
Best Places for Parties
Family Parties, Baby Showers and Bridal Showers 30-50 people
- Dyker Beach Golf Course – 86th and 7th Avenue – has nice rooms for parties and parking
- Embers – 95th & 3rd Avenue
- Hunter’s Steak House – 94th & 4th Avenue
- Ginos – good food – nice setting 74th &5th
Places for Bridal & Baby Showers in Bay Ridge
- Delia’s – everyone loves the lychee martinis
- Chadwicks– 88th and 3rd Avenue
- Greenhouse Cafe 77th and 3rd Avenue
Birthday Parties for tweens & young adults
- Ariang Hibachi 4th Avenue & 89th Street
Best Nursery School – Grace Nursery School
Best Party Places
- Small party – The Painted Pot 8009 3rd Ave (718) 491-6411
- Small Children – Play Days & Parties 6632 3rd Ave. (Next to the Firehouse) Phone: 718-492-8997
- Balloon Guy
- Ft. Hamilton Army Base – bowling party at the base (you get the whole bowling alley for 40-50 people, 3 hours, food and unlimited soda included – $500. Food includes pizza, and trays of chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks and wings).
Donate Old Clothes: St Marys Church picks up – CLICK HERE for St. Mary’s Number and other places that accept donations in Bay Ridge