Ice Skating for Children in Brooklyn
1) Prospect Park Lakeside has ice skating, hockey and curling in the Winter months
Contact our Skate School specialists at (718) 462-0090 or email@example.com.
- They have parking. Stairs a bit steep to the rink.
- There are two rinks – not too crowded when both are open (when one closes for cleaning, it’s a bit crowded)
- The food in the cafe is expensive but good.
- To get a locker – go to a kiosk and pay and get assigned a number and code.
- They have a skate school – no appt is needed. Children just wait for a slot.
2) Abe Stark Ice Skating Rink – 1902 Surf Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11224 (Coney Island Boardwalk and West 19th Street) – 718-946-6531 Open from October to March on weekends and during school breaks 12:30 – 3:30 pm $10 to skate and $5 to rent ice skates (Children as young as 2 skate here – they have tiny skates – bring helmet and gloves)
- $120 for 8 lessons at Abe Stark
- Free Learn to Play Ice Hockey Program at Abe Stark Arena
- 4 week free learn to play ice hockey program – begins every 4 weeks.
- Next Session October 3rd thru Oct 24th Register
- This is for the first time skater between the ages of 5 and 7 years old.
- The child is loaned all equipment for 4 weeks which stays at the rink. The only expense to the parent is registering your child with usa hockey which can be done at www.usahockey.com.After the 4 weeks there is no obligation to you unless your child wants to continue on with the sport (if you wanted to continue, it costs $375 for 15 weeks or $725 for twice a week – see info about the league here)
During school breaks, Mark Treyger often makes announcements like this on his Facebook page:
3) Aviator Sport has 1/2 hour lessons for $20 each or 10 lessons for $170 (age 4 and up)
Admission $8.00 for adults and $6.00 for kids – Skate rental $5
5) Bryant Park – 40th Street and 5th Avenue, Manhattan
There was free ice skating here last year. This is only a deal if you own skates. If you don’t own skates, they rent them for $14.00 (yes that’s crazy, but it’s NYC and a lot of tourists are there). The rink is large so there’s plenty of room to skate and enjoy yourself.