Kayaking for Children in Bay Ridge and Brooklyn
2) Bay Ridge Eco Deck– the dock is currently closed for repair. It was open to experienced, human-powered boaters from July 1st to December 1st (experienced because the water is rough). In order to use the dock, you must have (and be able to show proof of) a current NYC Parks launch permit (Permit is $15 and paperwork to fill out is here: http://is.gd/KZ8xKK). You can email the Parks Department Chief Dockmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org and he will provide you the code to get onto the dock.
3) Brooklyn Bridge Park Boathouse – Free Kayaking – they supply the kayaks and the life vest. They also have a mini lesson in a section close to the pier. Children under 14-17 can kayak alone, but must be accompanied by an adult. Children under 14 must share a boat with an adult. Every Saturday (from 10:00AM to 3:00PM) and Thursday (from 5:30PM to 6:45PM). 20 minute limit. Kayak Polo on Sundays They also have a Youth Kayak Program for groups and that lasts 2 hours
4) Red Hook Boathouse – same info as above, but at this location
Manhattan Community Boathouse Free Kayaking – they supply the kayaks and life vests. They have mini lessons in a section close to the pier. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult and sign a waiver. Children under 16 must share a boat with an adult.
- Pier 96 at 56th Street in Hudson River Park Saturday-Sunday 10am–6pm, Monday-Wednesday 5:30pm–7:30 pm, Closed Thursday-Friday
- 72nd Street north of Pier 1 Cafe in Riverside Park Saturday-Sunday 10am–5pm (Closed Monday-Friday)
5) Lakeside at Prospect – kayak and pedal boats are available to rent on Monday to Saturday 10am to 7pm and Sundays 10am to 6pm. There are season passes you can purchase if you go there a lot. All rentals come with a lifejacket.
Single Kayak: $15 for 1 hour; $30 half-day; $40 full-day
Double Kayak: $25 for 1 hour; $35 half-day; $45 full-day
Single Pedal Boat: $20 for 1 hour
Double Pedal Boat: $30 for 1 hour
7) A- Team Paddleboarding – Rockaway Park, NY – Paddleboard Camp – I thought this looked interesting