I usually don’t have the time to go to Michaels Craft store so I mostly go to the two fabric stores in Bay Ridge:
1) J & A Fabrics – 83rd Street between off 3rd about 3 or 4 stores from the corner while walking towards 4th Avenue (Home Abstracts is across the street from it). They have fabric from floor to ceiling and a good amount of trims too. They even sell nice upholstery. I love this store. Their site has music so turn down the sound if you have kids: http://www.jafabricstore.com/
2) Beverly’s Trimming Shop – 79th and 5th Avenue – it’s small, but has a lot of good things – silk and chiffon ribbon and sequins for cloth.
7820 5th Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11209
3) Close Out Heaven on 83rd and 5th has large rolls of ribbon with the wire – cheap.
4) Norma’s Craft Store on 3rd Avenue between 79th and 78th Streets sells ribbon.
5) Khan Fabrics and Notions – slightly outside Bay Ridge 6211 – 18th Avenue Brooklyn 11204 718-234-7323 Facebook page – A lot of choices in solid color fabrics (very few children’s patterns or cutesy pattern like florals…..one polka dot – black and white only) good prices, a moderate amount of trims but they do have a large selection of zippers. I don’t love the store because it’s just solids in different materials – cotton, velvet, lace etc.
6) Juanitas Bridal Store on 58th Street & 4th Avenue has every type of ribbon and trim imaginable – they are cheap too!